Friday, May 31, 2024

Face your imperfection fears

I'm proud to say that I currently have a few young fans that include me (and my brownies and rice krispie treats) in their birthday party plans. We don't go to McDonald's or Jumpy Gyms. It's just a bunch of crazy kids running and screaming through yards and parks. In fact, if it were anything else, I probably wouldn't be invited. Who needs someone to help them roast marshmallows and pin the tail on the donkey when they've got paint ball wars to win?

Last month I was flattered when a little friend asked me to paint faces at her party. Someone (albeit an 8-year old) considered me an artist. For a second or two I enjoyed the idea of my art being on public view until it rained or the cheap face paint faded. Envious onlookers would ask the kids who they were wearing and they'd yell back, "Ten!" But could it really be that easy?  

Maddalena and I decided on a trial run the day before the party. She showed up with make-up crayons, paintbrushes and her mom's phone filled with photos of fantastic faces. One of us thought I could paint a butterfly batting its wings when she blinked. The other remembered that I hadn't applied eye shadow since my senior prom.

It was time to explain the difference between copying and creating. I told Maddy I was willing to paint a piece of her artwork on her face, but internet images were out. As unenthused as she was with my old Crayolas and scrap paper, it wasn't long 'til we had a pink and purple unicorn that looked just like Porky the Pig.

The next day I told the guests they had two choices. One was the birthday girl's unicorn, as a way to honor her and proudly wear 'Maddy' for the day. And the other was a design of their own. Fortunately I'd packed the old Crayolas. By the end of the party we had hearts, lightning bolts, flowers, cats and a tiger that looked like a cat running around. They were far from professional, but I think Mary Poppins would have found them all practically perfect.  

I learned three things about perfectionism when Maddy turned 8.
1. My original refusal to the online designs was because I knew I couldn't reproduce them perfectly.
2. At the pre-party practice, Maddalena offered her face, arms, hands and legs giving me the chance to try, try again. Was it too many attempts at perfection that transformed her unicorn into a pig?
3. Perfectionism shouldn't impede performance. When you only have one chance (or cheek), take it. At first you might succeed because you can't try again.       

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't leave comments on Blogger. If you do, they might never make it to me. And if they make it and you don't sign your name, I'll never know who you are. You can contact me at tenleyves@yahoo.com. Thanks.