Friday, July 19, 2024

Living the inside out

Seeing that I'm a bad decision-maker when it comes to long-term commitments, I decided to go without kitchen cabinets and drawers. It's safe to say my baby blues would tire of baby blue countertops long before the expiration of the Baker's Chocolate Squares hidden on the bottom shelf in the back.

Instead of cabinets, I've filled open shelves with a colorful array of mercatino merce (secondhand store stuff). In fact, my kitchens resemble a well-organized Goodwill until you get to the bowls. In shops they're stacked for safety. The big one on the bottom hides and holds the rest like a cheap set of Russian nesting dolls. The days I really feel like shopping I remove them one by one to search for decorative designs and buried treasures.

I've been told I live a bit more recklessly at home. I stack my bowls from smallest to largest which means sometimes things get a little shaky. When my knight in shining armour came to save the day, I explained that it doesn't make sense to hide the beauty on the inside just to keep things safe.  Instead of the protection and stability of the big bowl at the bottom, my risky stacking gives each bowl's border the light of every day.  

I know letting them wobble is a bit wanton, but it's the only way to enjoy their true colors. At least they have a moment in the spotlight to show their differences. And if they're destined to come crashing down, I'll give them a second chance to shine in my mosaics where broken bits are brought back to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't leave comments on Blogger. If you do, they might never make it to me. And if they make it and you don't sign your name, I'll never know who you are. You can contact me at tenleyves@yahoo.com. Thanks.