Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I saw London, I see France

I survived with Tigger and Eyeore and returned home safely from London with all 21 students and no major problems.

In seven days, I saw Wimbledon (tennis, of course), Wembley (soccer), Twickenham (rugby), Chelsea (soccer) and a few more normal tourist sights like the Tower of London, Buckingham Palace and the National Gallery.  I thought I would have a lot more time by myself,  but I got a big surprise halfway through the week.

The students decided that they didn't like their English school.  One day when we were finished at a stadium and I said goodbye and told them to enjoy their class, they told me that they weren't going back to school.  What?  They were actually telling the teacher that they were skipping class?!  So, like any professional teacher would do (right?), I said, "That's fine.  If you don't like it, you don't have to go back.  What would you like to do this afternoon?" They were a bit surprised by that, but not too surprised.  They were still getting used to the fact that they could call me "Ten" and not Madame Ysseldyke.  So, we got out the map and made a new plan.  Then, that night when I thought I'd be alone, they asked me to meet them at the pub.  (For the third night in a row).

The next morning we met in St. James's Park and they passed me from arm to arm just strolling along and practicing English.  My favorite part was their fascination with the squirrels.  21-year old boys were taking pictures of squirrels like I would take pictures of elephants on a safari.  Squirrels!!  They don't have them in Paris.

That afternoon, (of course they weren't going to school) they asked if they could divide themselves into three groups of 7 and each group have a 2-hour lesson with me at a pub.  Why not?  To be paid to sit in a pub for 6 hours on a Friday afternoon and speak English with a bunch of kids that could have officially skipped school and run off to do whatever they wanted to do, but instead chose to spend time with Madame Ysseldyke, was a pleasure.

That's about it.  No blogging.  No emailing. No art galleries.  Just the chance for me to  learn the real differences between rugby players and soccer players (I think I prefer rugby), learn to navigate the Tube effortlessly, and learn that foxes really do wander the streets of London and when you leave a pub you might bump into one (okay.  I was as fascinated by this as the boys were by the squirrels.  It's true.  Foxes just walk down the street like dogs.  I didn't know this.  I suppose I probably should have).

In a nutshell, my first experience as the International Coordinator was rather bizarre.  I'm sure I didn't make any new friends back at the office, but I have 21 new fans that gave me a standing ovation on the train and said they would've been lost without me.  If they only knew how lost I would've been without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't leave comments on Blogger. If you do, they might never make it to me. And if they make it and you don't sign your name, I'll never know who you are. You can contact me at tenleyves@yahoo.com. Thanks.