Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Drinks on me

I know that some of you may be thinking that I've forgotten that I'm living in France and not in Italy.  While it's true that I prefer Italian nouns (people, places and things...just a reminder from the English teacher), there is one thing that I find better in Paris than Venice.  Free water.  Not canals of water....those are actually quite nice in both places.  I'm talking about drinking water.  When you ask for water in a restaurant in France you say "une carafe d'eau, s'il vous plait" and they bring you a pitcher of tap water.  Actually, it's not always a pitcher.   Sometimes it's a decorative bottle.  Sometimes it's a carafe.  And sometimes they just refill  an old wine bottle with water.  That's my favorite and a tradition I might bring home with me.   A French tradition, don't forget.  Because it doesn't happen in Italy.

A perfectly soggy uncut pizza for 5 euro instead of 10 euro?   Nessun problema.  A gelato cone with whipped cream (brilliant idea, I think) for 1,50 euro instead of 4 euro?   Sicuramente.  But free water?  It seems to be out of the question.  At least, it's out of the comfort level of a question that I want to ask.  In Italy it's actually cheaper to drink Diet Coke than water.  Whereas in France, it's cheaper to drink wine than Diet Coke.  And since I still don't like wine, it's even cheaper (and more fun) to order free water and  take pictures of the pitchers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't leave comments on Blogger. If you do, they might never make it to me. And if they make it and you don't sign your name, I'll never know who you are. You can contact me at tenleyves@yahoo.com. Thanks.