Thursday, February 17, 2011

My own grafFEETi

I can't believe I did this, but I wanted to mark one of my favorite days in Paris and when the opportunity presented itself, I couldn't resist.

I normally run in Jardin du Luxembourg or along the Seine.  Both quite nice options, I'd say.  But, I've found a new running partner (who speaks Italian) and he likes to run in the streets of Paris.  Alone, it doesn't strike my fancy, but running through Paris speaking Italian is high on my list of favorite things to do!

We meet at the cafe, set our Garmins (that's a GPS watch for runners) and decide where we'll go.  Being a lousy decision maker, I usually let him decide and last Friday he suggested that we run long and slow up to Montmarte.  "How bout 15 kilometers?", he asked.  It takes me a second to do the math and I haven't done that much for awhile (math or running, that is!), but I agreed.  Fortunately I knew that Montmarte was at the top of perhaps the highest hill in Paris.  (And I should add here that if you haven't yet seen Amelie you should rent it.  It's a great, and less strenuous way to see Montmarte.)


I ran the Paris Marathon in 2005, but in marathon mode, you don't always get a glimpse of everything.  This was perfect.  He complained every time we had to stop  at a light, but I took advantage of the little breaks and soaked up the sites.  Something I would never do alone.

I happened to know where we were when I noticed that he was good and tired.  Did I forget to tell you that he's only 32?  And I don't think I have to remind you that I'm not.  I suggested that I take the lead and we did the second half of the run along Canal St. Martin.   I love Canal St. Martin.  I love riding  my bike there.  I love walking there.  And now I can say that I love running there.

We were quite close to home when I noticed the spilled paint.  I ran right past it, but when we got to the next light, I said that I had to go back.  He knew what I was going to do.  And I did it.  I know it's not cool, but I had to leave my mark on this beautiful, rare, sunny Parisian day.  We finished 16 kilometers, went our separate ways and then coincidentally met again at the cafe.  He brought his own Red Bull.  I hope that doesn't mean that this was our last run UP to Montmarte. It's a FEET I'd like to accomplish more than once.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't leave comments on Blogger. If you do, they might never make it to me. And if they make it and you don't sign your name, I'll never know who you are. You can contact me at tenleyves@yahoo.com. Thanks.