Saturday, March 19, 2011

No ifs, ands or butts.....s'il vous plait

A cigarette butt is about the same size as a gum wrapper, right?  Would all of the people who throw cigarette butts out their windows also throw a gum wrapper out the window?  I really don't think so.  Really.  And if I am standing on the street talking to a friend and they flick their butt to the curb, I really don't think I can imagine this same person flicking a gum wrapper in the same way.  The gum wrappers go back in the pockets.  So, what is it about smokers--educated, kind, recycling-minded, earth-loving smokers--that makes them feel okay about throwing their cigarette butts on the street?  I know they can't put the butt back in their pocket, but is that a good enough excuse to litter?  I can't put an apple core back in my pocket either, but I wouldn't feel okay just pitching it on the street.

I'm not sure why this subject made it to a blog.  Because I have nothing else to say?  (Highly unlikely.)  Because maybe it will make SOMEONE think about it?  (I doubt it.) Because I don't know how to say "cigarette butt" in French or Italian?  (In fact, maybe that's the reason.)  It's hard to have this kind of discussion, I mean the kind of discussion you can imagine that I would like to have, without the vocabulary.  I don't think that what I have to say carries any weight even if I could speak the language, but without it, I think it would be a bit ridiculous.

So, those of you who read this blog can give me insight if you have it.  In fact, I don't know if I have any readers that smoke. ;-) If I do, I hope you're not offended, but it really is something that I've been wanting to say for a long time.

And another thing.......   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't leave comments on Blogger. If you do, they might never make it to me. And if they make it and you don't sign your name, I'll never know who you are. You can contact me at tenleyves@yahoo.com. Thanks.