Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A week of winks

A wink.
I think you're cute.
Just kidding.
That's the right answer.
Follow me to my office.  I have to tell you something.

It's a universal language.  Once you take one of my English lessons, anyway.  I used to wink at the refugees when I taught them.  Then one day, one of them winked back at me.  I was pretty sure she had no idea what she was doing, so I decided I'd teach a lesson about it.  I was right.  No one knew what a wink meant.  And I taught them that even if you give one,  your message might not always be clear to the recipient.

Then I started teaching 20-something year old French boys.  They were winking at their 40-something year old teacher and this time I was pretty sure they didn't know what they were doing, so I taught another lesson.  They claimed they knew what they were doing.  On the wrong day a wink from them only makes me sad.  It's like they think I am so old that it is safe to wink at me.  Like it's kind of cute.  In fact, I guess it reminds me of the way I talk to old people sometimes.  Maybe it is kind of belittling in a way.  They just seem so old and cute that I treat them differently than I should.  I don't think I'll do that anymore.

So anyway, it's been a week of winks in Paris. The 'follow me to my office' kind of winks.  And I've been giving them.   And to top it off, I looked up and saw this building winking at me as I pedaled by.  I'm not sure what it was trying to say, but with a little imagination, it turned a grey Paris day into a sunny one.  For a minute, anyway.

And I will leave you with this.
"When most I wink, then do my eyes best see."  William Shakespeare.
Shakespeare's not always clear to me, but with a little imagination, I can usually get something out of it.  What I get from this is that the 'follow me to my office' winks allowed me to start seeing things a bit more clearly.  I'll fill you in on the rest a little later.  "Nudge, nudge.  Wink, wink.  Know what I mean?"  Monty Python.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't leave comments on Blogger. If you do, they might never make it to me. And if they make it and you don't sign your name, I'll never know who you are. You can contact me at tenleyves@yahoo.com. Thanks.