Monday, May 16, 2011

Any way you slice it.......France wins

Let's get back to the bread.  Why don't they have good bread in Italy?  I've finally found an Italian to discuss this with.  He's had bread in France and he wonders why there are no Italians running over to France, learning how to make good bread and coming back to Italy to open the best "panificio" in Italia.  Unfortunately, all he does is wonder.  So, there is still no good bread in Italy.  I went to one place that had four different kinds of little roll-looking things behind the counter.  I asked what the difference was, hoping that somehow maybe one was better than another.  She said, "Really, the only difference is the shape."  I'll keep trying.

In the meantime, I've actually decided I prefer what is basically Wonder Bread.  And to top it off, at dinner the other night I was served AMERICAN BREAD.  I know you can't read it all in this little picture, so I'll give you the details.  The first line says "mordibidissimo pane bianco."  Morbidissimo?  My first thought was death.  Dead white bread?  I mean REALLY dead white bread?  That's the "issimo" part.  You can think of it as REALLY.  But, I checked my dictionary and "morbido" means soft, not dead.  So, here we have our REALLY soft white bread.

The next line says, "Ricetta Americana."  That means American Recipe.  For bread?!  Is there an American recipe for bread?  Well, thanks to this great marketing, the Italians think there is.

And the expiration date?  It's now May 12.  This bread, which I have no idea when it was purchased, is good until June 13. Is bread ever good for a month and a day?  I don't think so.  

Here's the best part of all.  In fine print it says, "Prodotto in Francia."  Do I have to translate that?  Produced in France.  What do you know?!  No matter what, my favorite bread in Italy is French bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't leave comments on Blogger. If you do, they might never make it to me. And if they make it and you don't sign your name, I'll never know who you are. You can contact me at tenleyves@yahoo.com. Thanks.