Friday, May 27, 2011

Il Contadino Nudo ( The Naked Farmer)

I used to swim in a cow trough.  Is that what you call the metal thing that farmers fill with food or water for the animals?  I think so.  Anyway, I had one in my backyard.  At the time it really seemed like a pool.  Now I can't imagine that I ever swam in circles with my little friend to make whirlpools so we could float around the edge of the trough for hours.  But, I was little and it was big (enough) and it seemed like a pool.

So, does the fact that I swam in a cow trough make it easier to understand why I've fallen in love with this Italian country lifestyle?  Not that I've seen anyone swimming in a cow trough.  Well, not a real metal one like mine.  But, I did see a guy floating in what might be today's version of a trough that seems to be inflatable (maybe?) and blue and square.  Not so good for making whirlpools!

I was running (of course) and getting braver everyday.  I'd seen a little trail I'd wanted to take, but was still a little hesitant.  Three days ago, I took it.  What I didn't know was that the trail had a little turn and before I knew it I came upon a car and a farmer.  I said, "Buongiorno," and kept running.  He was on a little patch of land enclosed by a fence.  Inside the fence was a tiny garden and a brick shed, if sheds can be brick.  It
definitely wasn't a house. That was that.  I didn't seem to be bothering him and I was happy to have found a new place to run without worrying about this shed and fence.

Day two.  Same place and more or less the same time.  I turned the corner on my trail and saw two feet sticking up over the edge of what I first thought was a kiddie pool. I was shocked and didn't really want to look, but there was a guy floating in this little modern blue trough.  I really do think that's what it is.  It's too industrial to be a kiddie pool and not finished enough to be a pool-pool.  I'd found an Italian with his own trough and I ran right by.

Day three. Same place and unfortunately more or less the same time.  I didn't see the bare feet sticking up over the edge of the pool, even though I accidently had my glasses on.  And I'm sorry to say, they weren't my sunglasses.  Instead, I was greeted by a naked farmer.  He said, "Buongiorno!"  and a lot of other stuff I didn't understand.  So, I responded with the usual, "I'm sorry.  I don't speak Italian very well," and we kept
talking.  Where are you from?  How far do you run everyday?  Is your family Italian?  The usual first time stuff.  (Okay.  Just kidding.  Did you really think I'd have this casual conversation with a naked man in a field?!)  But the rest is real!  He seemed to have timed it perfectly to be exiting the little shed right when I ran by.  Was it planned?  My Italian friends would say naturalmente, of course!  What?!  Yes, they said.  He just thought he'd give it a try.  And who knows?  You might be in the mood and stop.

Day four.  Same place.  I wasn't about to give up one of my fields just becasue there was some naked guy in it.  I had to go back.  All I wanted to do was run by with the hope that he wouldn't be there and I could take a picture to show you all.  (Sorry girls.  I didn't have my camera yesterday.)  Anyway, I got lucky and he wasn't there and I took a picture of the little shed and the little pool and now the picture is in my iPod and I don't know how to get it out to attach it to my blog! Oh well.  You'll just have to imagine it all.  

So, that's the story of the only other person I know who swims in a cow trough.  I liked him better when the only thing bare was his feet.

Update:  January 31, 2012. 
I just figured out how to get pictures from my iPod to the blog, so I've added this one.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't leave comments on Blogger. If you do, they might never make it to me. And if they make it and you don't sign your name, I'll never know who you are. You can contact me at tenleyves@yahoo.com. Thanks.