Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Shall I hang it up?

I thought I'd made it through a day with no comic relief. But, I guess it will be awhile until that happens. I needed hangers. I went to the famous Parisian store that is cheaper than our cheapest----it's called Tati. An employee smiled at me when I went in which doesn't seem to happen that often, so I accidently said, "Buonasera" (good evening in Italian) because I'm used to them smiling at me in Italy. Rather than ask immediately where the hangers were, I made a lap. I didn't find them, so I went back to the smiling man. He was more than happy to help. I brought him with me. When we came to some random items on hangers, I pointed to the hanger and asked if they had any. He brought me to the women's fashion to find the lovely blue sweater with rhinestones that was hanging on the hanger. I said that wasn't what I wanted and tried to demonstrate again. This time he wanted to sell me a Hello Kitty t-shirt. This is when I got frustrated and started speaking Italian again. (that seems to be what comes out more naturally) I finally made my point and he led me to an aisle and I could see the hangers sticking out at the end. There was a small group of employees in the aisle. He told them what I wanted and one of them answered that I couldn't buy them until tomorrow! Have you ever heard of this? Fortunately, I have, so I didn't have to ask them what on earth they were talking about in French. I'm sure I would've thought they were kidding. When I tried to buy the black heart-shaped footstool at Tati last week I took the time to read the sign with my dictionary. It said, "Don't touch, s'il vous plait, these items can't be purchased until tomorrow." Okay. No hangers. So Mr. Smiley walks me back up to the front and asks me how to say hanger in Italian. I said I didn't know. He said, "You're Italian and you don't know how to say hanger!" I told him I'd know tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't leave comments on Blogger. If you do, they might never make it to me. And if they make it and you don't sign your name, I'll never know who you are. You can contact me at tenleyves@yahoo.com. Thanks.