Monday, October 4, 2010

Am I too old for dreadlocks?

I've stayed in plenty of cheap hotels where the shower head was handheld. I always saw the little attachment to the wall and it was always broken. I guess maybe my current living quarters might be even worse than a cheap hotel. There's not even a spot that it was ever attached to the wall and now broken! Im sure it was never attached because my "telephone booth shower" next to my stove is plastic and there's no way to attach it. But, there's a small pipe going around the top of the room and im thinking i might be able to tie the handle to that and hang it in my roofless telephone booth. Kind of like one of those camping showers. So, how do I wash all of this hair with one hand and a constant fear that I'm almost out of hot water? There are a lot more people in the streets of Paris with dreadlocks than there are in Chicago and maybe now I know why. So, maybe I'll have a surprise for you when I get home. Dreadlocks kind of go with my apartment. 110 stairs. Hot in the summer and cold in the winter (my only heat is a space heater). And there's not enough room for a space heater because when I open my sofa bed (which is called a "click-clack" because I'm sure it makes my neighbors nuts) there is only an extra two feet at the bottom and at one side of my bed. Period. It's smaller than any hotel room I've ever stayed in other than a night on Tokyo! I know the song is about Bangkok, but my room in Bangkok was bigger. All in all though, the place is growing on me. Even though I found out last Thursday that my "private" toilet in the hall isn't so "private", when I spent today thinking about starting the search again and making appointments in French and doing paperwork in French and not being called back and if I am called back taking lots of trips up and down those stairs and up and down the stairs in the metro and moving in and breaking off another key in my next new front door....it makes me think that my little turquoise (Mer des Caraibes is the paint name, and yes, I chose it) isn't so bad. One friend likes to remind me that I'm not sharing barracks like a soldier that can't fly off to Spain and London and Italy whenever they want to use an appropriate toilet. He's got a point. So maybe I should go for a military haircut instead of dreadlocks?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't leave comments on Blogger. If you do, they might never make it to me. And if they make it and you don't sign your name, I'll never know who you are. You can contact me at tenleyves@yahoo.com. Thanks.