Tuesday, October 5, 2010

You can't lock a bureau if you can't find one

As trusting as I generally am, I decided the other day that it might not be the smartest move I'd ever make to leave my bag with my iPod, French phone, Italian phone and passport in my office with the door unlocked when my office mate or I weren't in there. So, in French (need I remind you again that I really don't speak French?) he took me by the hand to go find a key and then told me to lock my bag in the bureau. Seemed like an easy enough solution. But, I went back to the office and couldn't find a bureau. A french office is really quite basic. You don't leave any clues about your personal life in an office. No photos. No Star Trek calendars. No extra high heels hidden under your desk. And as far as i could tell, no bureau. Fortunately, somehow, as I was walking back out to tell him that we didn't have a bureau in our office, it dawned on me that a bureau IS an office. The key worked just fine in the office door, so I locked my bag inside and went to teach English to 19 adorable French boys and 3 beautiful girls that I'm sure would never steal my bag
anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't leave comments on Blogger. If you do, they might never make it to me. And if they make it and you don't sign your name, I'll never know who you are. You can contact me at tenleyves@yahoo.com. Thanks.