Sunday, January 16, 2011

It's not easy to pretend you don't speak French

I told you a few days ago that I always start my conversations with strangers telling them that I don't speak French very well and then continuing a lengthy conversation in French.  The last time I wrote it, it kind of made me laugh.  Well, when you tell a police officer that you don't speak French (without the "very well" part) you probably shouldn't continue in French.

It's true.  Less than a week after I found out about the 90 euro bike ticket, I was stopped by a couple of COWS. (That's what I call police officers on bikes.  Cops on Wheels.)  After going through yet another red light and beginning my journey down a one way street the wrong way I heard some frantic whistle blowing.  Wait, that sentence should start with "After looking around for policemen, then going through yet another red light..."  Apparently I didn't do a very good job of looking for the officers.  The whistles were for me.

I panicked.  I decided to say that I didn't speak French thinking that they might not know what to do with me.  Luckily, they didn't speak English.  Stupidly, I offered Italian and they didn't speak that either.  They asked if I understood the rules of the road and gestured to the one way street.  I pointed to the train station that I had almost illegally reached and said that I didn't know how else to get there.  Then I'd realized that I was speaking French and it was actually hard not to.  That was a strange one.  Finally I'd had the words that I'd wanted on the tip of my tongue and I couldn't use them.

A bit more gesturing and a pat on the arm (who do you suppose did the patting?) and I was released.  They told me that I had to go around the block and they stopped traffic to allow me to make a legal u-turn.  Off I rode stopping at the next three red lights, with 90 euros in my wallet, and enough time to catch the train to Versailles for a lunch of lentils and fish wrapped in bacon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't leave comments on Blogger. If you do, they might never make it to me. And if they make it and you don't sign your name, I'll never know who you are. You can contact me at tenleyves@yahoo.com. Thanks.