Monday, January 17, 2011

A Seine-sational Soiree

A rock concert.  On a boat.  On the Seine.  I wouldn't say that I actually enjoyed the music.  But,  I'd have to say, riding my bike up to a bright red boat along the Seine, locking up and crossing the gangplank is something I'll always remember.  I'm probably getting a little old to say that it was awesome, but it was awesome.  In fact, I haven't had my hand stamped for a long time and when I passed it to the doorman I was a little nervous that he hadn't seen one like that lately and he might just pass it back.

The concert was a little competition.  There were five groups performing.  I knew a couple of guys in one of the groups.  They're adorable (17 and 21, maybe) and they invited me, so I went.  I'd have to say, of the five groups, my friends were the best.  When you enter you're given a handful of little styrofoam balls.  There are five tubes along the wall with dixie cups at the end of each.  Each tube has a band's name on it and you drop in your balls to vote for your favorite band.  I'll admit, for all I know this is totally common at home and of no interest on a French blog, but it was new to me.  And don't forget, it was a rock concert.  On a boat.  On the Seine.

There's not much else to tell.  I think I was most entertained by the long, sweaty hair being thrown around.  I just kept thinking about the three-year-old boys that I know and wondering how they ever go from being those sweet little boys banging on toy drums in footie pajamas to these tattoed, long-haired rock stars in black t-shirts.  Then I asked myself.  Is it any different than a ringleted six-year-old girl playing house with an Easy-Bake Oven turning into an almost dreadlocked 40-something going to a rock concert on her bike on the Seine and stopping for McDonald's at midnight?  Maybe not.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't leave comments on Blogger. If you do, they might never make it to me. And if they make it and you don't sign your name, I'll never know who you are. You can contact me at tenleyves@yahoo.com. Thanks.